FAQ's
Downloads
Support Forum
  SnailSource.com [Logo]
Calendar LiteCalendar Lite (Demo)
Calendar ProCalendar Pro (Demo)
LinksLinks Pro (Demo)
RegisterRegister
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages SearchSearch FAQFAQ ProfileProfile MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups Join GroupsJoin Groups

PhpBB3 - RC1... "The getting excited" thread :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    SnailSource.com Forum Index -> [DEV] Snailsource Ver.2.x printer-friendly view
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin
Site Admin

Hlp* 3655.72
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: PhpBB3 - RC1... "The getting excited" thread :) Reply with quote Direct link

Ok... sorry to burst any bubbles straight away but as you can probably guess there isn't any support for phpBB3... yet!.

As many of you will have noticed (I hope) the advice for mod writers has been to wait for RC1 before even attempting to write any mod code so I've taken that as gospel and been working on my job.

Now that we're on RC1 though I'm looking to attack my mods starting in approximately 2 weeks time. I expect the process to go something like this:

- X weeks getting to grips with the new system
- X weeks hair ripping, cursing and generally feeling foolish as I realise I haven't understood the new system and need to re-think
- Initial alpha code starts coming out on a test Snailsource/forum3 site (not available yet)
- Week of testing/tweaking, etc... and then application of lessons learned to all mods.

At a guess we could be looking at anything from 3 weeks to 2 months (from start point) before we have something that works reasonably well so please don't go crazy. Any "demands" for upgrades will be met with silence but obviously I'd welcome any testers from the established members of the community and I'll be sure to keep you posted as to how things progress..

Oh and in case anyone is hoping for new features along the way... If I get into the swing of things and have the time I will certainly look at adding some of the long sought after features but it's a time specific thing so don't ask... and be pleasantly surprised if we manage it Smile

Cheers.
GoleyC

Hlp* 249.51
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Direct link

Here's what I would rather say:

A quick and dirty upgrade if possible without any new mods for Calendar, Linkz, and DL Manager.

Then, once that is completed, you could then dig back into the code and add the things that have been requested for some time.

However, if the code base require a major rewrite instead of an quick and dirty upgrade, then take the time to add the things that have been requested as you write the code.

FYI: I'll help be one of your early tester!!

FYI: I'm working on setting up a dummy phpbb2.0 database and just running the calender and linkz mods from there, but not allow any new entries to the DB. This way, I can upgrade to phpbb3.0 and also keep access to the calendar and linkz outside of the phpbb3.0 files.
Stevec4

Hlp* 278.30
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Direct link

I am hoping you don't go full force into PhpBB 3.0, I have no intentions of upgrading in the foreseeable future.
Martin
Site Admin

Hlp* 3655.72
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Direct link

Stevec4 wrote:
I am hoping you don't go full force into PhpBB 3.0, I have no intentions of upgrading in the foreseeable future.

Well, not to worry there..

My intention remains to write code that will be useable across different systems.. The standalone side of things is going to take longer but phpBB's on both levels is still very much part of the plan.
sander2

Hlp* 2.00
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Direct link

any news? Wink
Martin
Site Admin

Hlp* 3655.72
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Direct link

sander2 wrote:
any news? Wink

Not yet... patience sander'san.. Wink
Martin
Site Admin

Hlp* 3655.72
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Direct link

Ok... just to note that I've started getting my head around the differences in code for PhpBB3.x and by 'eck it's not exactly a walk in the park.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can work the code so it would allow me to maintain dual compatability but as yet I'm still unsure if this is or isn't going to be more trouble than it's worth.

Work has started on CalPro and once I've resolved that the others should be a relatively (note the word "relative" here Wink) easy thing to do..
DiegoPino

Hlp* 16.00
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Direct link

Excelent!!!

Take you time. and hope upgrade to DLMan Pro.

Thanks Martin!!!
Martin
Site Admin

Hlp* 3655.72
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Direct link

DiegoPino wrote:
Excelent!!!

Take you time. and hope upgrade to DLMan Pro.

Thanks Martin!!!

It's on the list... DLMan also needs a lot of improvements, also on the "to do" list.
Martin
Site Admin

Hlp* 3655.72
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Direct link

Just to note that phpBB3 support IS coming along and is likely to be provided in Alpha form in the not too distant future.

See the Calendar Dev forum for more info'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    SnailSource.com Forum Index -> [DEV] Snailsource Ver.2.x All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: